DRA is looking for a Head of Office for Drukarnia – Civil Society Center Sloviansk, preferably starting on 01.06.2021. The scope of work is 40 hours per week.
Background: While free civil society engagement in the East Ukrainian "People's Republics" of Donetsk and Luhansk is systematically suppressed, independent Ukrainian citizens' initiatives and NGOs in the government-controlled cities of the Donetsk and Luhansk regions have been intensively involved in overcoming the consequences of the war and in building civil society since 2014. The civil society centre "Drukarnia" was founded by DRA e.V. in Sloviansk in summer 2019. Currently the majority of Ukrainian and international NGOs are focusing their efforts on the ground primarily to enhance future prospects for sustainable development in the region and making concrete contributions to this end. Against the background of the pandemic and a continuing unstable political situation, the work of the "Drukarnia" team, in cooperation with other local, national and international organisations and institutions, aims to support engaged citizens and especially young people to participate in the intersectoral development of their communities.
The focus is on supporting active citizens who want to shape multidimensional structural change in Donbas: democratically, competently, participatory, environmentally, and in a socially just way. At the same time, "Drukarnia" supports central Ukrainian reform processes and focuses its work on strengthening political education, environmental activism and regional, supra- regional and international exchange. The engagement of "Drukarnia" is in the context of other fields of activity of DRA for civil society conflict transformation in eastern Ukraine, such as regular monitoring activities in the conflict region and the work of the international platform CivilMplus.
Focal points of the work of the Civil Society Centre in Sloviansk
- Further development of "Drukarnia" as a platform for regional, national, international civil society work in the region,
- Promote the effectiveness and sustainability of local civic initiatives as well as their networking and cooperation through capacity-building and joint project work,
- Expand international voluntary work on the ground,
- Create educational and participatory opportunities for different target and age groups in the region,
- Strengthen regional cooperation of eastern Ukrainian civil society,
- Strengthen international civil society cooperation with the region, including conflict transformation,
- Promote exchanges with different regions of Ukraine,
- Promote public debates on local democracy, local development, conflict transformation and other issues which are important for the local population,
- Support the environmental movement in the region and contribute to networking and professional capacity building,
- Involve internally displaced persons in the project work,
- Elaborate development perspectives for the region with local partners,
- Expand cooperation with local and regional government as well as with international organisations in the region,
- Work with war experiences and local history, strengthen local cultural life,
- Support local human rights work and initiatives against gender-based and otherwise motivated discrimination and violence.
- Management of the office and the current team of four in Slowjansk,
- Management and controlling of all processes with constant consideration of the political, social, legal and pandemic situation as well as conflict and context-related challenges and security issues on the ground,
- Establishment and management of local and regional programmes as well as national and international integration of "Drukarnia" to strengthen civil society in Donbas, involving partners from other regions of Ukraine, the EU and other countries,
- Development and implementation of educational offers and participation opportunities for young people and active citizens in Sloviansk, Kramatorsk and in localities in the "grey zone",
- Implementation of measures to strengthen local initiatives and their participation in local politics, human rights, conflict transformation, historical projects, environmental protection and inclusion of IDPs and marginalised social groups,
- Conduct public discussions and activities on democracy and civic participation and other issues of local interest and relevance,
- Developing cooperation with development organisations and international funders, participating in fundraising for the work of the Civil Society Centre,
- Establishment and development of a programme for international volunteers in Donbas,
- Public relations work of "Drukarnia" and cooperation with regional media,
- Organising a strategy process for the medium-term development of "Drukarnia" together with the Berlin-based DRA project team,
- Synergy development with other engagement fields of DRA and other partners on East Ukraine, including the CivilMplus platform,
- Representation of DRA regarding issues of registration, presence and work in Ukraine.
- Several years of experience in coordinating projects for the promotion of civil society and/or conflict transformation in Eastern Europe, including associated public relations work and team leadership,
- Experience in financial planning and control in international projects, in checking the where-used list, reliable and careful handling of figures, receipts and documents,
- Several years of practical professional experience in the field of working with different target groups, with democracy education and the implementation of participation projects,
- Experience with conflict-sensitive and intercultural work in polarised societies and/or conflict contexts,
- Experience with writing analyses on conflicts and political processes in Eastern Europe desirable.
- At least good knowledge of the political and social structures of Ukraine and the conflict in Donbas, as well as a proven interest in developing civil society and promoting international cooperation,
- Good knowledge of politics and civil society in Germany, other EU countries and in Eastern Europe,
- Knowledge of methods of conflict analysis and human rights work,
- German or English language skills at a very good or native level,
- Fluent knowledge of the Russian language, both written and spoken; advanced knowledge of Ukrainian would be an advantage,
- Completed university studies,
- Completed Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT) or other security training relevant to working in fragile contexts desirable.
- Leadership, decision-making, organisational and teamwork skills,
- Strong analytical and reflective skills,
- High ability to work under pressure, ability to quickly familiarise oneself with new tasks and topics,
- High level of intercultural competence and reflection, combined with the ability to mediate between different European contexts, particularly including East Ukraine,
- Very good written and oral expression and communication skills, confident and authoritative appearance in public, towards partners, donors etc.,
- Ability to talk, cooperate and deal with conflicts, as well as moderation skills.
The position is initially limited until 30.04.2023. An extension will be sought. The position will be adequately remunerated. DRA e.V. offers a diverse and international working environment, competent colleagues and room for initiative and self-realisation.
We look forward to receiving your application in ONE PDF document (no larger than 2MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is 22 April 2021.
Interviews will take place online and/or in Berlin on 28/29 April 2021.
Job announcement in PDF Format is available in English and German.