DRA e.V. is seeking to recruit an Advocacy Coordinator for the international project “Dialogue for Understanding and Justice: Strengthening civil society's contribution to conflict management, democratic and regional development and the preparation of safe reintegration in eastern Ukraine (Donbas Dialog II)”.
- The job is part-time, with monthly honorariums based on the experience and on the average rates within international civil society sector,
- We offer one-year contract (renewable), with a three-month probation period,
- Expected staring date: 12 May 2021.
In March 2021, Berlin-based NGO DRA started the new phase on its project aimed at enhancing the engagement of civil society in the peaceful resolution of the conflict in eastern Ukraine. Involving multiple partners from Ukraine, Russia and the EU, the project seeks to prevent escalation, assist conflict-affected individuals, promote dialogue and path the way for transitional justice, with a view of the safe reintegration in eastern Ukraine. The new project has started amidst the new round of hostilities in Donetsk and Luhansk regions, and the ongoing efforts from the side of the Russian Federation to provoke destabilization and violence. With little or no progress in the negotiation process, lack of social cohesion and fragile democratic structures, DRA, together with partners, supports Ukrainian civil society focusing on human rights monitoring, strengthening civil society capacities on the ground, promoting synergies and solidarity between Ukrainian and international civil society actors on the basis of the international platform CivilMPlus. It is key to raise awareness of the situation in and around Ukraine, to ensure wide dissemination of messages that counter disinformation and Russian propaganda, and to embed the situation in Donbas in the European agenda.
Advocacy Coordinator works with civil society actors (project partners, members of the international civil society platform CivilMPlus) to develop and implement an advocacy strategy that will reinforce the civil society’s impact on the process of conflict resolution. Advocacy coordinator is expected to establish, develop and maintain communication within civil society as well as with national and international stakeholders (including but not limited to Ukrainian national authorities, OSCE, Normandy Four, EU and UN institutions). The Advocacy Coordinator will work closely with the Berlin-based project team, in cooperation with communications and project managers and will report to the Head of the project.
- Lead and facilitate the development and implementation of an advocacy strategy that will contribute to the civil society efforts to engage in conflict resolution, human rights protection, dialogue and restoring the rule of law in eastern Ukraine,
- Prepare and coordinate project’s advocacy activities and support the production of advocacy-oriented communication materials, in coordination with project’s coordinators and communication manager,
- Analyze news and policies regarding the armed conflict in eastern Ukraine and its resolution mechanisms at international level in order to adapt the strategy and provide briefings to key actors, as the need arises,
- Liaise with project partners and members of the platform CivilMPlus as well as other civil society activists and organizations in Ukraine and beyond to build their capacity in advocating on conflict related issues with international stakeholders,
- Produce and edit policy papers, report on and evaluate advocacy activities,
- Liaise with relevant international bodies with a view to establishing or reinforcing working relationships and developing partnerships,
- Contribute to the development of the DRA’s security plan, update it and abide by it,
- Follow the calendar of key Ukraine-based and international events, advise project partners on participation or take part directly; provide contributions for meetings, conferences and campaigns.
Skills and experience:
- Strong background in diplomacy and/or international policy consulting,
- Strong experience in developing and implementing advocacy strategies in international context and relevant thematic areas,
- Deep knowledge of international political and diplomatic working mechanisms and experience working with civil society groups to advocate for change,
- Understanding of international conflict resolution and negotiation mechanisms, experience in working and knowledge in democratic transformations processes and violent conflicts in the post-Soviet area is a strong asset,
- Excellent research skills, including the ability to find, analyze, synthesize, and present information,
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships,
- Excellent spoken and written English, ability to speak/read in Russian, Ukrainian, French, German is a strong asset,
- High adaptability and ability to work independently and under stress in a sensitive environment,
- Creativity/Initiative and team-spirit,
- Available for travel and flexible working hours.
- Please, send your CV, cover letter and at least two references with their contact detail to email@example.com , indicating Advocacy Coordinator/eastern Ukraine in a subject line.
- The deadline is 25 April 2021.
- Preliminary, the interviews will take place on 29-30 April 2021.
More information about DRA e.V and the international civil society platform CivilMPlus is available here: www.austausch.org, www.civilmplus.org.
The project is implemented with the financial support from German Federal Foreign Office.
Job announcement in PDF Format is available here.