Application deadline: 20 May 2019
When: The volunteer camp will take place from 3 to 16 August 2019
Slovyansk is a city in the eastern Ukraine, one of the district centers of Donetsk region, famous for its salt lakes resorts, as well as porcelain and ceramic production. Slavyansk is the place where in April 2014 the war in Donbas (region in Eastern Ukraine) started. At the beginning of 2019, displaced people fleeing from the conflict zone constitute almost a half of the city’s population. From April to the beginning of July 2014, Sloviansk was under occupation by Russian backed armed groups. The so-called "contact line" now runs in 40 kilometers distance from the city. Despite the fact that today the streets of Sloviansk are completely peaceful, the fears associated with the past still affect the lives of residents. At the volunteer camp, we will try to learn as much as possible about how peace is being restored in the region and how the traumatic experience of war can be overcome.
20-25 volunteers from different European countries, at least 10 from Ukraine. Age 18+. Working languages: English, Ukrainian,Russian.
DRA (Berlin) in cooperation with local partner NGOs.
What will we do?
We will study, make friends and work together! The international volunteer camp gives plenty of opportunities. The participants from different countries will learn about each other's lives, about the history and development of Ukraine and the Donbas region, will be able to discuss ideas for new joint projects, listen to and tell stories about their achievements and experiences of overcoming conflict.
- Assistance to local residents affected by the armed conflict and families of IDPs from the occupied districts of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts. Activities may include: repair works, assistance to large families of IDPs, assistance to a family-type children home, etc.
- Collection, documentation and systematization of oral history (interviewing) of the city's residents about the armed conflict in Sloviansk in April-July 2014 and about the ways to overcome the conflict, making photos for the exhibition devoted to the life of the region, which will be shown in Sloviansk and later in Kyiv, Berlin, Warsaw and other cities.
- Meetings with experts, historians and civil society activists to discuss the current events in Ukraine and the prospects for development, the situation of human rights and the environment, the lives of people in the conflict zone and the situation in the temporarily occupied territories of Luhansk and Donetsk regions, etc.
- Excursions around the city and neighbouring settlements, trips around the region,
- Rest, fun parties and swimming in a salty mineral lake.
Lodging for participants is provided in 4-8-bed rooms of the Hostel of the Protestant Victorious Church in Slavyansk. The hostel has all necessary facilities: kitchen, dining room, shower, etc. Volunteers will cook their own meals.
Costs of accommodation and meals are fully covered, costs of travel are partially covered.
International participants meet in Kyiv before the beginning of the camp and travel together with the project coordinators by train to Sloviansk.
Application to participate in the camp:
Please fill in the application form in English, Russian or Ukrainian.
Deadline for applications is 20 May 2019. Applicants will be notified by 31 May 2019.