EU-Russian Civil Society Forum and Vilnius Town Hall are inviting to the Opening of the Exhibition “Different Wars: National School Textbooks on World War II” on 6 March 2017, at 6pm, on the premises of the Vilnius Town Hall (Didžioji str. 31, Vilnius 01128). Meet the authors and explore the exhibition from 5pm!
Welcome speeches will be held by:
• Giedrius Sudikas, Head of Press Sector, Representation of the European Commission in Lithuania;
• Laima Nerkevičienė, Deputy Director of the Town Hall;
• Natalia Taubina, the Steering Committee member of the EU-Russia Civil Society Forum (tbc).
Reflections and discussions together with the authors of the exhibition
- Nikita Lomakin, Memorial International, Moscow,
- Algis Bitautas, Lithuanian University of Educational Science, Vilnius
- Kristina Smolijaninovaitė, EU-Russia Civil Society Forum, Berlin.
Moderator: Vidmantas Valiušaitis, journalist, director of Adolfas Damušis democracy study centre.
The discussion will be joined by the history textbook author Evaldas Bakonis and civic activist Irena Veisaitė.
The exhibition “Different Wars” reveals the differences in the narration and perception of the history of the Second World War in modern high school textbooks of the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Lithuania, Poland and Russia. The choice of the subject was motivated by the fact that WWII remains one of the most painful and conflicting episodes of the European nations’ memories. The modern high school textbooks were chosen as they communicate the spirit of their time and express the culture they are written in.
Languages: Lithuanian and Russian
Please confirm your attendance until Friday, 3 March 2017, by sending a short message to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The exhibition will be displayed in the Grey Hall of the Town Hall until 31 March 2017.
The entrance is free of charge.
Wikipedia über die Town Hall von Vilnius: